Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Miles Ahead

I feel extremely manly; I recently fixed the odometer in my '97 Volvo 850! A few weeks ago, I noticed that the miles were not rolling off any more...hmmm, just a small problem. I'm not planning on selling the car any time soon, but I would hate to go for months or even a year and not know how many miles I've put on the car...how would I know when to change the oil? So I called the dealership (just for a good laugh at their estimate): "Oh, that will probably run about $400 to $500 dollars." Yeah, right, I'm going to pay that. I got on the internet and found an odometer fix that I could do myself. Go to Matthew's Volvo Site and see the process. I ordered the new odometer gears from Jeff Caplan at Odometer Gears. He started making these tiny gears when no one else would sell the needed parts to him. I've read on other sites that a new odometer box is anywhere from $125 to $225 or more, but Jeff sells the gears for $25 each. The box needs 2 gears to be fully restored. The tough part is taking apart the Volvo's dash and removing the instrument panel behind the steering wheel (the one with the speedometer and gas gauges). I decided that while I had the panel in my living room I would also change the bulbs in the panel. Most were pretty easily found at Auto Zone, but a couple needed a special pre-constructed bulb. I tried to make a different bulb work, but when I got everything back in the car, my odometer worked, but my turn signal flashers on the panel didn't flash...hmmm, that could be important. So, yesterday, I made the trek down to the dealership again to investigate the bulbs, and in fact, they were only $2.50 for each...I'll take them. So, today, if everything goes well, I'll have a working odometer and a clearly lit instrument panel. What a feeling!

2 Comments:

At Wed Mar 01, 01:21:00 PM, Blogger Jenny wrote...

Congrats on the car fix. It always feels good to do something on your own and save hundreds of dollars.

I guess Jenny found your blog earlier. Looking forward to keeping up with the lives of the Perkins'.

Side note - I see you are a big Spurs fan. I am a big Mavs fan. BIG GAME THURSDAY!

You might be interested in my computer ratings. Just click on our blog and then look for the Perkins Power Index.

Brett

 
At Thu Mar 02, 02:05:00 PM, Blogger Chad Gardner wrote...

While you're messing around with the odometer, why don't you go ahead and roll 50-100,000 miles off of it. Might help the resale value somewhat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home