Saturday, May 06, 2006

Home at Last

Well, it's great to be home. We've been on the road for the past 2 weeks. We were at the Pepperdine Lectures this past week in Malibu, and we had a great time. The weather was nice and cool and the campus was as beautiful as ever. The program was very good, and overall the week was very refreshing. I feel like I can tackle the summer schedule with a revived energy. See here for more opinions on the week.

I have recently announced to my congregation that I will be departing after the summer. I have been accepted to a Ph.d. program in communications at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville to begin in August. I was offered a Teaching Assistantship that covers my full tuition for the entire program, and provides a stipend for teaching in the School of Communication Studies. I couldn't turn in down. I'll be joining Jim Miller (of Harding) who is also at UTK in the College of Communication Ph.d. program. We'll be moving at the end of the summer. We are very excited but also very sad to leave Sunset Ridge, our home for 4 years. My course work will take about 2 1/2 years, and then of course, I'll have several hours of dissertation research and writing.

Most importantly, I hope to get to see at least one football game at one of the largest college stadiums in the country!

4 Comments:

At Sun May 07, 12:27:00 AM, Blogger JAW wrote...

Eli,

Great seeing you and catching up with you, and all the best on your move!

 
At Sun May 07, 06:33:00 AM, Blogger SteveA wrote...

Eli,

Let me be one of the first to welcome you to Knoxville. (saw your post at Malibu Librarian). We've been here about 28 years, its a nice place. Hope you like your program of study and find a church home that you like.

 
At Sun May 07, 01:35:00 PM, Blogger Chad Gardner wrote...

Wow, Eli. Congratulations! I'd like to say Knoxville is closer to Little Rock than San Antonio, but it's still quite a long drive to East TN.

 
At Fri May 12, 01:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Dont be a traitor.... Where your Memphis Blue at those VOL games.. ha ha ha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home